Who will be appraising my jewelry at Gallery of Diamonds?
Diamond Mike Watson is a GIA gemologist with an extensive background in all aspects of the jewelry business. He knows how to properly identify and grade diamonds and colored stones. His specialties include diamonds and antique jewelry.
What is the fee?
$125 per item. If you have multiple pieces, we may provide a discounted rate.
What will my appraisal include?
- description of all characteristics of the piece, including weights, grades, and measurements;
- information relating to the gem – whether it is natural or synthetic; or if the gem is untreated
- the manufacturer, workmanship, metal and karatage of the mounting
- the value of the jewelry
- a photograph of the jewelry
Insurance companies will require an appraisal in order for insurance to be valid. A good appraisal will save you much time and aggravation in the future.
We recommend appraising your jewelry every two years. Most insurance companies consider it your responsibility to update, not theirs to remind you. We charge only $65 for an update of an appraisal we have already completed.
Will you archive my appraisal?
Yes. Appraisals are securely saved for referencing in the future.
What can I do to be prepared?
- If it’s available, bring us copies of any documentation you have relative to the jewelry, such as original receipts and previous appraisals.